Update on the Poke Berry Pumpkin Dye

You may have read my previous post about dyeing yarn in a Pumpkin using Poke Berries. What I failed to mention was that I had also included 2 skeins that had been purchased on Ebay. They are the same as the ones I used when I dyed with the Goldenrod. These balls of yarn were too good a deal to pass up – or so I thought. They are not made from the fiber advertised and therefor do not take the dye well at all. However, I’m not totally disappointed.

DSC_0002

When I emptied out the pumpkin, there was still quite a bit of juice left over. I just couldn’t bring myself to waste it so I put it in a jar and tossed in some 100% Superwash Merino. I left the jar in the dark (under a big pot) to prevent the sun from damaging my color.

DSC_0005

As with the Pumpkin Dye, I wanted to let it sit for a few days in order to fully take advantage of the fermentation process. This creates the mordant for the yarn and helps the color to adhere.

DSC_0002

I love the color in conjunction with the 2 skeins of Ebay stuff. The one on the bottom is the Merino. The other 2, while they were supposed to be the same thing are.. well, who knows.

Share
This entry was posted in Dyeing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.